Thursday, August 18, 2016

Perfect Timing... Productive Summer...


I did get a few projects done this summer. All were UFO's (UnFinished Objects).
The first was an crocheted baby afghan in lavenders, pinks, and light green. It was hand carried by my Heart and Sweetling all the way to England to his cousin that's expecting her second child. Why I don't have a picture of this project, I don't know. It was crocheted in granny square style, one square that kept growing and growing. I didn't use a pattern, but added texture and color as I pleased. 
I had actually started that afghan when she was expecting the first baby. Found out it was going to be a boy, so I tried adding blue embellishing stitches over the top. Lol, but to my dismay, it wasn't looking more boy than girl. (And before anyone tells me anything, I am aware that it's no longer PC to assign specific colors to either gender. But I do, sometimes *shrug*. And, lucky for me, she decided to have a baby girl two years later 😋.)
Anyway, I was saved when the expecting mom requested a specific baby quilt quilt for her first child...
Best picture I have of the quilt, but adorable baby easily outshines it ❤. I hope momma doesn't mind me posting this pic!)
She had seen it on Pinterest and I knew exactly the one she was talking about. Heres a screen shot of my pin 😃. Pinterest pin link. It's a simple idea and I was quite pleased with the results...
Not my quilt. Pinterest Pin
So, the Lavender Afghan was first UFO finished this summer. And then this multi-color knit baby afghan was finished with a flannel backing and given to my nephew and his girlfriend. They were also expecting a girl. The story about this blanket is that it was originally intended for charity years ago. I was using up leftover yarns and testing out a new stitch. But as it grew, I fell in love with it and just couldn't bear giving it away to an unknown person. Even when I found out an aquaintance was expecting, but I still find Icouldn't part with it. 
Fast forward to this summer, when I got the invitation to the baby shower, this magically surfaced from the piles in my sewing room and I knew with out any reservation it belonged to my soon-to-arrive grand-niece. 

Sewing the backing on with threads and needles given to me from my aunt in TX.
During my visit to Colorado my sister put me to work making lacy hairbows. She was in charge of making the centerpieces for each table at the baby shower. She accessorized Teddy Bears with the bows to make them "girls". I thought it was very cute idea. 

The next UFO was the first quilt I stitched using a friend's long arm machine. What a rush that was to have a top all quilted up in just ONE day when it would otherwise take months to hand-quilt!
I trimmed the edges and laid it out on my bed... And I knew I would never use it. It was too busy. So, it was folded up without a binding and put into storage for a couple of years.
I came across it again looking for something else. I figured "it just needs binding, it'll be another finished item." And put it in the back of my car where it stayed without another thought... And went with me on my summer trip...
The first stop was visiting my Aunt in TX. She had made up her room for me. and had two beautiful vintage quilts on the bed. As I was packing my car to head to CO, I spotted my quilt and thought to show it to her.
I tell you!! The moment she saw it, it became beautiful. Lol, I'd swear it began to sparkle and dance in front of my eyes. And so i spontaneously gifted it to her. I think she cried.

I took it home and attached the binding. As fate would have it, my third trip this summer was back to her house for the funeral of her husband. I was grateful for my attachment to this quilt because i felt like I was able to leave a tangible piece of my heart with her for whenever she needed comfort. (Rest in peace, Kenny. Love you Aunty)

I love binding mitered corners 😊

And lastly, even though it's not a UFO, I'm going to mention that I entered my magnolia quilt into the quilt show in Hattiesburg next month! I don't expect any ribbons but I had to see it displayed at least one more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment