Tuesday, March 28, 2017

A peek at my Quiltfest 2017 retreat week!!

I have to tell you about my Quiltfest 2017 week retreat!!
This is the third time my quilting friends have invited me along with them. I have always declined for various reasons, but this year I was able to say "yes!" And so I left my little family to fend for themselves (and they did so very well! which is nice to know for future quilting retreats!) and I traveled with my friends to Pigeon Forge, TN from Sunday to Sunday!

Of course, Sunday was the 8 hour drive there, checking into the condo, and getting settled in. We were quite comfortable and walking distance to the convention center!

Since Quiltfest didn't open until Tuesday, we were free to shop hop all day Monday. First stop was Mountain Stitches by Susan in Gatlinburg, TN. 

Lots of Civil War fat quarter bundles to purchase in just about every color combo you can think of!
I fell in love with this little pillow
and had to purchase the pattern.

Some of our PTQ members had the same idea to shop hop on Monday.
I love this display of fat quarters. It seems C.C. is appreciating the opportunity to pick her own bundle :).


Second stop was at Holloway's quilt shop in Cosby, TN!

Holloway's has their 2016 Row by Row displayed.
A bed is set up in the room to the left and used for bed turnings.
I'd love to be there for a bed turning!!

Then my friends said it is tradition to have lunch at The Carver's Apple Orchard in Cosby, TN.


I enjoyed looking out into the orchard from my table in the restaurant.


   
Don't dormant apple trees look so cool!!
Third quilt shop in our shop hop was Machine Quilting by Iva in Sevierville, TN.
LOL, that's me next to the beautiful barn quilt hung in front. 

Another pattern I couldn't resist purchasing :)
Our final shop on Monday was the Cherry Pit Quilt shop in Sevierville, TN.
I was asked not to take any pictures unless I was purchasing a pattern.
My friend purchased the Labyrinth pattern so I took a pic of her getting her picture taken :). 


After dinner we had visitors back in our room....




Judy Stokes from A Quilter's Alley blog  showed us what to expect in the class she was to be assistant teacher on Tuesday.

Then I spent the rest of the evening sewing on the project I brought to work on!!

I signed up for an all day Tuesday class called "Meet me at the Bar" with instructor Pat Delaney. It was all about free motion machine quilting in smaller areas like borders or log-cabins.
Ms. Pat Delaney demonstrating a stitch pattern.















A close-up of my quilted bars
what I got done during class :)


The following pictures are sample of Ms. Delaney's quilts. I'm adding these to remind myself this is what I'm working toward.


During lunch break I met up with my friends and we quickly walked through the show to see if our entries won awards... 
 "...Beauty of the South" received a third place ribbon in the Small Hand Quilting catagoty!!  
It's my first ribbon, I may have gotten a bit emotional 😃.

... then more sewing on Tuesday night along side JoAnne.

Wednesday! I joined C.C. and JoAnne in a trip to the Pottery House in Pigeon Forge, TN.



Tim Kearn threw a large bowl in less than 10 minutes AND explained each step while he worked!


Wednesday evening I had another class "Free Motion Feathers" by Ranae Merrill.




samples of my class work


Thursday was pretty much on my own. 
I wandered through the vendors at my own pace. 
And found the quilter's jewelry that I promised myself if I ever were to make it to Quiltfest.
Thimbles by TJ Lane helped me find the perfect style and fit for me. I love it!!

I was told that on Friday is Show and Tell at Quiltfest. Each item you have to share gets you a ticket to win one of the many prizes, including a very high value sewing machine. So I fervently worked on making my "Meet me at the Bar" sample into a small quilt. I named it "Designated Driver" since Meet Me at the Bar didn't include drinks, lol. 
The name also has a second meaning.  I claimed all driving duties for this trip and the ladies gladly let me have the keys.
"Designated Driver" created and quilted by Naomi Perry
as part of  "Meet Me at the Bar" class with instructor Pat Delaney
 at #Quiltfest17 in Pigeon Forge, TN


Friday evening at Quiltfest Show and Tell.
I am blessed and honoured to call these beautiful ladies friends.
They are much of the reason I have strived to improve my stitching skills!!

More piecing later in the evening. It's a disappearing 9-patch quilt.


Saturday afternoon took us to another quilt shop, Twisted Sisters in Maryville, TN, 
where I found a fantastic sale on some 30's reproduction prints and a book but forgot to get a picture.



Saturday evening I had to use my bed as a design board to layout the black and white blocks.
I am really happy with the progress I was able to achieve on this quilt during this event filled retreat!


We collected the 20+ quilts that PTQ members had entered.

Judy carefully packed each one of those 20+ quilts.
Saturday evening everyone is getting their last stitching opportunity in.
All five sewing machines are set up!



Sunday Morning. It's been a fantastic week. Now I'm ready to go home.
Clouds are covering the Smokey Mountains.
I get a bit of a tickle. This Colorado girl spent a whole week in the Smokey Mountains!  And at some point during this trip I must have driven "down in the holler."
Tennessee is just as I imagined.  Actually, Tennessee is even more beautiful than I had imagined! I'd like to get to know it more.  God willing, I will be back next year for Quiltfest 2018!



4 comments:

  1. Very well summed up. It was a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for having me! I loved every minute 😄

      Delete
  2. Thanks Naomi for a great 'travelogue' ! I have heard so much about this event and now I feel like I've been there ! Congrats on your first ribbon ( not your last, I'm sure )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just saw this reply now, Mary! Thank you! Wishing you well 😄

      Delete