Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Unexpected Joys

Some things (maybe most things) don't happen as a person would expect.  Life has a way of springing surprises.  
I've started this blog update several times. And every start sounded so cryptic because the story is not mine alone so I'm cautious about revealing too much.
What I will say is something wonderful is working in my life, guiding me in a particular direction, and it's unexpected.
It's similar to that happy bubble deep inside growing and growing. The warmth of it radiating outward and overflowing.... however, it's not euphoric, it's contentment, a feeling of peace and all's well 😊.
So besides the afore mentioned, there's also quilting!!  I can talk all I want about quilting 🤗...
Of course, when a quilting experiment is a success, and a purpose presents itself (a recipient) before the item is completed (giving a reason for a speedy completion).... What's not to feel good about?!!  Let me tell you about it.

I love making Scrappy quilts!!

I love quilt books with ideas on how to make scrappy quilts!
front cover
back cover
I needed a quick project to take to my Monday long-arm session.  The Original Ticker Tape quilt on page 138 of Sunday Morning Quilts book by Amanda Jean Nyberg and Cheryl Arkison was perfect!
I picked out a piece of fabric for the top, another one for the back, a left over piece of batting, and one of my shoe boxes full of scraps.
The book instructions are for using a domestic machine.  However, with only slight modification, i figured it would probably be even easier on the long arm machine.
And so this was my experiment! Not bad at all 😄...
Basically, it's applying the scrap pieces onto the quilt as you're doing the actual quilting.
I used a high loft polyester batting.  I wasn't sure how well that was going to work up with this technique.


I think it turned out pretty well. And by the time I got to attaching the binding, I knew exactly who this quilt belonged to.  My newest grand-nephew, whom I have not met in person yet, has managed to snuggle his way into my 💓.

These pics are to show what you can expect with the first washing.  Because it's raw edge applique there's a bit of lint and fraying.
That's the charm of raw edge!! It's a fuzzy, comfy, worn-in, raggedy effect! Simply trim off any strings that are hanging on and throw the quilt back into the washer and dryer one more time. Trim strings again if needed, then it's ready to be used.


Ok, Little guy who has stolen my heart with just photos over the internet. This one is for you!!


And I liked this new technique well enough that I've started another Ticket Taper quilt!!



No comments:

Post a Comment