Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Not bad for a week.

Just a quick documenting of this quilt. I needed a smaller version of the queen size black and white quilt to practice a stitching design. So I pulled fabrics from my stash and put together this very pink 40" x 50" top.

The Disappearing 9-patch method i used for the black and white felt like to much room for cutting errors on such a big block. So this time I cut each piece out separately.

Also made it easier to lay out, arrange and rearrange.


In the meantime... I received a sewing machine in the mail that I had won from Mountain Quiltfest.  It seems that my name was entered into a drawing each time I signed up for a class and my name was picked!!!



It arrived at my door step on Tuesday. I had just finished the top and backing and sandwiched it. I was sewed out for the day.

Wednesday was science fair day in Jackson with my daughter. She won first prize in her category! I'm so proud of her. 
It was an all day trip. To top the day off, the official acceptance letter into the residential school MSMS was in the mail box when we got home... (I will have a whole lot more quilting time come August..) 
...so Wednesday was a long, happy, emotional day and no sewing.

But I was ready by Thursday! And I set up the new machine which fit nicely in the drop in table...
Placed my roughly drawn quilting pattern next to the machine..

And stitched all day..


I attempted a border design I thought would be cute. But it looked messy to me so I spent an hour or two taking all those stitches out.

I also found one tangled mess on the backside caused by not bringing the bobbin thread up to the topside. 

I used a 500 yard spool of thread. Most of the quilting was done by Friday night.  I ran out of thread with just the corner border left to do.
I went with squiggly quilting in the sashing. 🤣 And it's intended to look messy! 😋
I started piecing the top on Sunday and finished the quilting on Saturday! Not too bad for a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment