Saturday, August 20, 2016

Old Man River Quilt Show 2016

Yesterday, a few of my quilt guild ladies and I went on a day trip to see the Old Man River Quilt Fest.
 The drive from Columbus to Vicksburg is about a 3.5 hour drive. Despite the downpour we encountered on our way home, I am really pleased how the day went.

There was a special showing of "The Supper" quilt. We met quilt maker Don Locke, DDS of Waxahachie, TX. His quilt was inspired by Leonardo DaVinci's "The Last Supper."
I believe I heard he pieced all 51,816 half-inch squares on a Featherweight. And took about two years. It measures 183" x 67".

"The Supper" was machine quilted by Linda Taylor of Melissa, TX on a long arm. The quilting cleverly adds the finer details-- eyes, hair, fingers,,, even fingernails!!! You can go to Mr. Don Locke's website to see more closeup pictures of "The Supper".

Then we looked at the entries. It took 2 hours to walk through. We tried to look at every one. It was incredible, so much talent!! Here are SOME of the quilts that caught my attention.
"O'My Feathers" by Diane Holden of Vicksburg MS

Hand appliquéd and hand quilted. Ruching on the flowers and rhinestones in the circle were beautiful embellishments.

"Scarlet's Daughter" by Polly Thomasson of Summit, MS.



"Hand quilt/machine piece" by Jimmie Carol Pete of Slides, MS.

"Home Sweet Home" by Isabel Adams of Vicksburg, MS.
Lyrics from a favorite song sewn into the border!

"Squiggles and Spirals" by Diane S. Hire of North Port, ME.

Touched my whimsical heart.

"Mad Men" by Teresa Pino
Of Herndon, MS








"Orange- Sherbet by Isabel Adams of Vicksburg, MS.
It reminds me a bit of the top I'm working on right now "Audaciously Scrappy"
"Pennsylvania Stars" by Barbara Deeper of Shreveport, MS
.









Some of the quilts I shared won ribbons. I didn't keep track of that info. They all deserve recognition imo :). You can see a Winner's list on the Old Man River Quiltfest 2016 website.

.
Quilt of one of the vendors - By the Inch.

Quilt of one of the vendors  - By the Inch. I purchased the acrylic templates for this block.

No comments:

Post a Comment