Sunday, January 8, 2017

A week into 2017...

Oh gosh. I've got a lot going on in the year ahead. I don't even know where to start!!
My quilting friends have been talking about Mountain Quiltfest in Pigeon Forge for months now. Every year they rent a cabin and sign up for classes and lectures all week and make it into a retreat for themselves. And every year they have invited me and I usually decline. This year Judy Stokes (have a look at her blog A Quilter's Alley) informed me that there is a spot reserved just for me. And my other friend Ebba Kellum insisting that I need to go. ...I think I am going to do this! I really want to go. 

My quilt guild was invited to participate in the quilt guild challenge at Mountain Quiltfest. The theme for the challenge is "black and white and one other color."
Well, I happened to mention the challenge to my brother Jaime while I was visiting in CO. And he chimed in that I could make it an oversized queen and he would take the quilt off my hands when I was finished with it. I laughed when he said it, but it actually appealed to me to have two purposes for this quilt.
I was having trouble deciding on a design. Pinterest offered a lot of ideas.... I mean a LOT of ideas. I finally decided on something simple. I have to keep in mind "oversized queen" and a Feb 1st deadline.
I chose simple squares with sashing and cornerstones. Showed it to my brother and he approved. .....

... Then I found out that I didn't pay attention to the whole requirement thing. See, there is no minimum size, it just needs to be big enough to hang. But there IS a maximum size of 160" perimeter. An oversized queen is over 400". LOL.
.... looks like I've committed to making two quilts, one for my brother and a different one for the challenge. 

Since it's smaller I decided to go with a different Pinterest idea for the challenge...
Awww!! All the charm of a Cathedral Window and only half the work đŸ¤—.
The picture above is from a blog by Spotted Stones Handmade. She has made a Cathedral Window Tutorial for this faux cathedral window block. The best part is, I already have the book Fantastic Fabric Folding Innovative Quilting Projects by Rebecca Wat from which this block was inspired.
I'm going to make a 5 × 5 grid with teal for the background, black and white prints for the center square, and black sashing. 
I've been folding, pinning and tacking the last few days.


 

It's a bit time consuming because it's all handwork, but that's what I love best anyway.

Also happening this year, I agreed to serve as VP for the Possum Town Quilters guild. That means I am get to schedule educational opportunities. Honestly, I did not immediately embrace this responsibility, but it's growing on me. I have a few teachers lined up and a lecture on caring/repairing vintage quilts. And on a recent trip to the airport in Memphis I visited the Cotton Treasure quilt shop in Senatobia, MS. 



It's a wonderful quilter's shop with a great selection of unique fabrics!
And the owner Chantay Rhone tells me to let the program director of my guild know that she does trunk shows. Which means she will come to my guild with loads and loads of quilts to show us and inspire us. She'll tell us about different techniques and new tools that will enhance our skills. 
Ooohhh!! How fortunate for me!! I am exactly the one who can set that up!! I love how things just happen, they seem to fall into place. 

While I was there, I couldn't resist purchasing an acrylic template set to make this quilt that was on display...

Hmmm, lol, I need to rethink my strategy for this year. I mean, we are only a week into 2017...  And counting my practice grafitti quilting in my Happy New Year post, I've practically started FIVE new quilting projects (I haven't even mentioned spinning in this post! Lol.) ... And I haven't finished one project yet...  Oh boy, I need a pause button for this year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment