Thursday, December 28, 2017

Goodbye 2017...


I thought about doing a blog update that would recap 2017.  A quick look back on it shows that it's been a really good year.  A recap will be too much work 😄.  I think I'm just gonna tell about my December activities, that'll be much easier.
I only made a few handmade gifts this Christmas... these two Christmas tree wall hangings....
Made for the PTQ handmade gift 
Made for my son because it's his first Christmas not loving with us 😄.

And the doilies I previously blogged about.  Lol, so few items almost seems like it's not worth mentioning.
I have to remind myself that crocheting 12" doilies is TIME CONSUMING! And I was determined to make them as my homemade gift at the Wannabee's quilt group Christmas party. 
Ms. Watana won these in the Left-Right game. I'm pleased she seemed to appreciate my efforts.
 Doilies

Well, December wasn't quite unproductive as first looks. I continue to work on this knitted scarf. 

It's another time consuming project.  I did the math once... I could have up to 60 hours knitting time into the final product. Phew!!  My Sweetling has claimed it and that makes the finish line that much sweeter! Just a few more inches to go, I'm hoping to be done before she goes back to school.
You know, I can't help but wonder "how does one put a price tag on something like this?!?!"  I mean the merino yarn was $27/skein and this pattern required 2 skeins,,, (I ended up getting a much cheaper second yarn at Hobby Lobby in the clearance bin!!) 
In theory:  Materials ($54) + labor/skills (conservative $6/hr) =  $400+!! Who would pay that for a scarf?? 
Lol, thinking of it this way might make it difficult giving it up.   Can I possibly change my mind and say "Sorry, Sweets, mom's keeping this one!!?" 😜

~~~~~~
On the quilting hand, I made another "ticker tape" quilt on the long arm. It's ready to be squared up for binding. I can hardly wait to see how this one fuzzes up after it's been washed.


I also took some of my quilting ladies on a road trip this month to Village Cloth Shop in DeKalb, MS. It's about an hour drive from Columbus.  I love this little quilt I spied by the cut counter. It might be a good idea on how to use my 2.5" crumb squares that are stacking up.

So now that all the Christmas celebration are over, I'm returning my attentions back to the design wall where this is still up!
 
Approximately 26 more blocks to make, give or take. I've already replace some of the blocks because the colors just weren't playing well with the others 😄.  Heh, and from the above photo, it looks like there might be one or two more replacements needed... 
I'm also getting reacquainted with my seam ripper.. it's a necessary tool, and has come in quite handy.  I consider it more friend now than foe.


Moving onto 2018 is looking fantastic! Just in this blog update I have potentially 3 projects that can become completed items. Not bad! I want to make 2018 about finishing UFOs (UnFinished Objects.)  I love that the good fortune of 2017 is flowing into 2018. 
Wishing much joy and a very Happy New Year to you!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment