Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Small progress is still progress.

I think this is going to be just a short blog update.
I'm not sure how much to share.  I'm a bit at odds with myself, a bit discontented, a bit lackadaisical.  The time spent in my sewing room hasn't produced the usual joy in a while.
But sitting in the evenings with idle hands isn't an option for me. I took a corner in the living room and set up shop. 
It became a perfect opportunity to work on the piles of scraps that are beginning to over take my sewing room. I blogged about how I organize scraps a while ago,  "scrap system or brink of insanity", so I won't go into great detail here.

It's slow work. I concentrated on marking pieces for my elongated hexagon quilt I started in March while at the Mountain Quiltfest in Pigeon Forge.  The scraps have to be at least 3.5" wide and 5.5" long.  Most of my scraps are smaller but this cutting session produced 30 elongated hexagons.  I was pleased.

Next sizes were 2.5" squares. 
And I've added sizes 2.5" x 1.5" and 1.5"x 2" rectangles... I'm not sure why except that I couldn't bear throwing that precious half inch of fabric away.  (*Sigh* this may be a sickness, but I don't think it's hurting anyone. 😋)
Of course, if 1.5" squares could be squeezed out, those were trimmed as well.
And smallest pieces are the 1" squares that are intended for the tiny star points I also mentioned in my scrap system.

After a couple days of cutting and trimming I had several piles that made me feel some accomplishment:
 30 elongated hexagons
 100+  2.5" squares
100+  1.5" squares
1.5"x2.5"
1.5"x2"
And 1" squares
Small progress is still progress!

That was a couple weeks ago. I still haven't felt very compelled to sit at the sewing machine too long.  And since I have new elongated hexagons ready, I've started adding them to my piece...
And THIS is what I love most.
Sweet and simple. 
Needle and thread.
Piece by piece.
One tiny stitch at a time,
 I am sewing my contentment back together.
Small progress is still progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment