Thursday, April 18, 2019

Mountain Quiltfest 2019

This is the third year I've attended Mountain Quiltfest in Pigeon Forge, TN.

Mountain Quiltfest 2017

It's a 6.5 hour drive from Columbus, MS to Pigeon Forge, TN.
We caravaned with 4 cars this time. And the day was perfect for traveling!  Driving up to those Smokey Mountains is breathtaking.

There was a little bit of "show and tell" the first evening.  Our friend JoAnne, who had moved from Mississippi to Texas, couldn't wait to show a couple of quilts she had finished.
  I believe the quilt above is a Bonnie Hunter pattern.
And the quilt below, JoAnne calls "2 X 4" because the finished pieces are of course 2" X 4"  😉.

Judy Stokes showed us her quilt.  I'm sorry I don't have info on this pattern at the moment.

Sunday night dinner.  These southern ladies were a riot.  And I felt truly blessed to be in their company.



I brought along the Elongated Hexagon quilt top to keep me busy onoSunday and Monday evenings.  I had started this top last year during Mountain Quiltfest, when I thought that I would be teaching a class at the MQA June gathering.  However, my family responsibilities took me away when June Gathering came around.
So, I'm going to try it again, and maybe this year I'll get to teach the hand piecing class.


Oh!! These next three pictures are one of my favorite things that happen during Mountain Quiltfest 2019.  Our friend JoAnne had made each of us little bags made out of fabric crumbs!!
Each had a special charm. Mine said "hand made" ❤️. Isn't that sweet!!
One bag for each of us in the suite.
My phone fit perfectly into it.  And I was able to visit all the vendors and look at everything with two free hands because she include a wrist strap!  I'm still using the little bag everyday. I love it!

On Monday we did a little bit of shop hopping.  Party of the fun in this day (besides purchasing fabric goodies) is running into so many of our friends from home who are also there shop hopping too!  This year I don't have a single picture of this experience!


Classes start on Tuesday.  I signed up for "Geese on a String" with instructor Bonnie Hunter.  My friend Judy is her biggest fan and I just had to experience Bonnie for myself.
This was the class quilt sample. The pattern is in Bonnie Hunter's new book String Frenzy.
Bonnie gave us lots of piecing tips and tricks.
I decided to make aqua/teal themed geese.
Because I want the quilt to have a fiesta vibe.


The show opened to the public the next day, Wednesday.  That's when I saw my Whimsy's Doodles with a ribbon.
I am an Award Winning quilter!
And two weeks later, I got the appraisal saying Whimsy's Doodles is valued at $3,500!!  That's how much it would cost to reconstruct! I still can't wrap my head around that fact.

Mountain Quiltfest offers a challenge to quilt guilds every year.  This year guilds were to pick a national holiday.
The Possum Town Quilt guild of Columbus, MS decided to do a Christmas theme.
We had 16 enteries and took up two sections of the exhibit.  I feel that's pretty impressive 😊.
My entry was Define Good.


I mentioned earlier that my friend Judy Stokes is Bonnie Hunter's biggest fan.  That is a bit of an understatement.  I should be saying BIGGEST FAN!
Judy has been making Bonnie's mystery quilts and "Leaders and Enders" quilts for several years.
Mountain Quiltfest asked Judy if she would bring her collection Bonnie Hunter quilts for the special exhibition.
Talk about "Impressive!"

There's a great article written by Terry Turnage on the Mississippi Quilt Association site - Judy Stokes featured at Mountain Quiltfest 2019.



Here are some of my suite mates during after hours on Thursday evening. They've had a long day of classes and shopping....
...and this is my work station that same night 😆.  I was Stinging Geese every moment I could fit in.


On Friday I attended a Dimensional Sewing class with instructor Cheryl Sleboda.
I completed 3 small samples in the morning part of the class before leaving Mountain Quiltfest to run home and take care of Mom-duties.

 I look forward to pursuing these techniques further!!

And that was my short week at Mountain Quiltfest this year!!  Oh yes, I haven't mentioned the two dinner lectures I attended just so I could get the Mountain Quiltfest pottery pieces!
Funny thing is that I didn't take as many pictures as I had in previous years.  However, I absolutely loved every second just as much if not more this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment