Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Seam Ripping and Dream job

Sometimes it's a day for the seam ripper to shine.


Usually, in my sewing room, the seam ripper is merely used as a stylus. Something to keep the fabric edges together and straight as it's fed through the machine...

But more often this week, the seam ripper has been doing it's main job - ripping seams!
Because I'm making silly mistakes, like sewing pieces wrong side to right side.  
lol, that's not something that can be left in to "live with."  There's really no way to say, "Yes! I meant to sew it in that way. It's a design element." 😜


However, not all the seam ripping lately has been due to mistakes.
My Sweetling (she's 18 years old now, am I allowed to keep calling her that?) drafted up an idea she had for a quilt.  She wanted the feel of brownstone buildings.


Using her draft, I've been putting it together in modular fashion. 
One building at a time. 

I really should have redrafted when I added window panes. Now the measurements are no longer 1" per graph square.  After the base buildings, I have had to calculate and adjust measurements to get the following buildings to fit. Continuing this way leaves plenty of room for error which gives reason for seam ripping.

However, part of the seam ripping is intentional because I'm using partial seams when adding the next building.


idk, So far this technique seems to be working for me...
(later, I might try to re-draft and write a pattern, but first to get this one done.)
My Sweetling is pleased with the progress so far.

~᪶~~᪶~~᪶᪶~~᪶~~᪶~~᪶~

I haven't mentioned that as of June 1, I started working in a quilt shop!!
I'm feeling so blessed for this fantastic opportunity!

 

My blog update Quilts of Valor Group in Carrollton is when I first visited the store.  Dianna was the QoV coordinator. When she suddenly had to move 5 hours away, she sent me a message asking if I'd like to work in the shop filling her spot. My answer was a quick and easy, "YES!!"

And now I have the best job ever!! Because I get to sew at work!!

I get to hand turn bindings...

and piece store samples...
 

Last week, I was helping to sew a memory quilt together. I didn't get a picture of it. But the point is that I'm getting paid to do what I love!!


And I get to chose fabric for bigger store samples...


 and take that fabric home to piece....


and when the store is finished displaying the top, It's mine for keeps!


I will be helping with coordinating the Quilt of Valor group!
On June 27th, Carol was putting the binding on the quilt top I was piecing in the blog update I linked.
The quilting really enhanced the piecing. I think the finished top is amazing. I hope the veteran that receives it will feel our love and appreciation for their service and sacrifices!!



This week, I just got to pick out more fabric for another store sample! 
It's Christmas in July!🎄❣

oh my gosh, I can't express it enough! Working at The Old Craft Store is a dream job for me!
I'm feeling limitless, with so many opportunities in my future.



No comments:

Post a Comment