Monday, June 18, 2018

Bring on the challenges!

Ok. Back in April I joined a BoM (block of the month) challenge presented by the National Quilt Museum.  I blogged about Adding another project to 2018.  I'm following the NQM BoM announcements through their Facebook profile, National Quilt Museum FB page,

Well, I ran into a hiccup from the very beginning.  June is the third month and I haven't completed April yet! Because of traveling I've gotten very behind on all my projects.... well, that's not completely true. I should be saying I've let traveling be my excuse to lag on my projects...

The whole idea of this NQM challenge is to push us out of our comfort zones. We are encouraged to try new techniques we've either avoided or haven't heard about.  The April Block was about a new take on EPP or English Paper Piecing.  I have been doing traditional EPP for years and was confident in getting my block done... until all the smaller squares were ready to be assembled then I realized the traditional method doesn't allow for the outside seams to be free for machine piecing to sashing or the next block... so I may have to redo April Block.

The June challenge is inspired by the exhibit Japanese Quilt Artists.  It is a pieced background with Mt. Fuji appliqued onto it with hand embroidery embellishments.... But I am not working on the June block yet 😜.

Today, I want to tell you about the May challenge that was inspired by surface design artist Regina V. Benson. The challenge is to  "use surface design and dyeing techniques to create one of a kind fabrics for this block" and use the hand dyed fabric to do organic improv piecing!
This is my finished block!!


I used a package of Tulip Fabric Dye Purple/Violet for permanent, solid coverage.
I found it very easy to use... almost...
I'm not very patient with these things. The package directions step 4 says to submerge in dye mixture, step 5 says stir continually for 15 minutes... (I stirred for maybe 10 minutes)....then occasionally for 45 minutes ...(I lasted maybe 30 minutes.)
the first few pieces are at the bottom of this wet heaping pile.


There was still plenty of the dye mixture in the pot, so I decided to see what would happen if I continued to use it. And I varied the lengths of time the fabric was submerged in the dye. I wasn't very scientific about it. I didn't record times or the order in which the pieces were submerged. The pieces on top were the last and I found out I didn't let them sit long enough as most of the dye was washed out in the final step. So, the next day I redipped them in the reheated steaming dye mix and let them sit for at least an hour. This time they did retain a bit more dye for a lovely light lavender tinge.  (those are at the top right of the next photo showing all the pieces together.)
LOL, luckily the dye mixture started fading.  I was getting ready to dip my whole stash just to find out what would happen with different prints.

I couldn't resist dipping some black and white fabrics. I love the results!
On the right is the original black and white fabric. The left side is after washing the dyed fabric.

I'm just as pleased with the results using Kona White fabric! I got so excited with it I dipped it all without saving a piece to compare, lol.


After all was washed and dried, I moved onto making my challenge block.
I'm getting a reputation in my quilt guilds for saving all the tiny crumb pieces of fabric that are often thrown into the garbage.  Now, many of the quilters save their pieces to give to me.  These pastel yellow, pink and blue stripes and plaids were "crumbs" that were given to me and happened to be sitting on the sewing table when I sat down to work.  Bonus is that they all have curves in varying degrees. I've been antsy to attempt improv curved piecing! IMPROV!! is the second part of the May challenge! It's perfect!

In the next photo you can see that piecing these pieces together takes special care.  There are tons of tutorials on the internet, just google curved piecing or search in pinterest, you'll find several blog tutorials easily.

and more pictures of my progress. I started with the shorter curves and easily progressed to the longer waves.  AND I was so pleased to see how well they turned out on the first attempts!!




and again a picture of the finished block 


I'm thinking I should redo the April block challenge with some of my purple dyed fabric. And continue the theme in all the coming blocks. And if by chance I run out of my hand dyed fabric, I'll just go get another packet of purple fabric dye to make more!! OR... why wait? I could try blue, or green, or red, or orange, or .....!!!! Buahah!! There's no telling what's next!

2 comments: