Thursday, June 21, 2018

Inspiration doesn't watch the clock!

It's 3:50 in the morning and I've got my sewing machine running.  Why?  Because I finally got the urge to continue with on one of the projects on the design wall.  This inspiration moment is one of those things that falls under the "use it or lose it" rule.


First, l tell you how this project started. My quilty friends know I love scrappy quilts.  And I will use pieces as small as 1" square.  They'll save their cut away pieces that they would normally throw away for me.
At the beginning of this year, one of the quilters in my guild handed me a stack rectangle fabrics left over from one of her projects.  The prints were interesting as they were, cutting into smaller pieces would have taken away from their beauty.  I was thrilled when I almost immediately knew what to do with them - sash them with a solid burgundy!  All the rectangles were nearly perfectly cut to 2.5" x 4.5", I barely had to do any trimming.  I did have to add one of my own prints to fill in and get a 10 x 8 grid set.

On Feb 13 this was on the design wall.  (Yes there is a project underneath it, "Links" quilt top, and another, "Wonky block" quilt top, under the Links top!  *sigh* I really need to get some finishes done..)
Anyway, at this point I thought the hardest part was over.  Arranging so that the prints are evenly distributed and pleasing to the eye is really hard! at least it is for me. Honestly, even now looking at this picture I want to move them again... but at the time I thought it was perfect :).

The row strips went together quickly with 2.5" burgundy between the prints.
Then I cut the sashing to put the rows together. Now the dilemma hits. Special care needs to be taken to line up the rectangles, otherwise it's going to look like a hit and miss disaster.
Actually there's the option to purposely off set the pieces.  Which would be easier, but I'd still have to use care to avoid creating a zig zag or diagonal pattern.
Lol, I gave myself that easier option, I tried to convince myself to go with it!....but it wasn't really what I had in mind.
I'm not sure what it is about these prints.  They are all different types of quilting cottons: calico, batik, Oriental, reproduction, modern generic... There's really nothing "special" about them. But sashed with the dark burgundy makes me think "elegant." Staggering the rows, no matter how well planned, just doesn't seem like it would give me the feel I'm going for.  I guess, neat and orderly says "elegant' to me. It has a sophisticated aura.

As I'm writing this, I find myself very amused. Because, I am a Whimsy-girl! I like carefree. I like wild and windblown hair. And going barefoot and no make-up. I prefer whiskey over wine, lol.  I could go on and on, but the fact is, even a Whimsy-girl likes to slip on a dress and heals for a fancy night out once in a while. 😜

Ok, now we're all caught up to why am I sewing in the wee hours.  It's because I know what I gotta do. There's no use trying to convince myself otherwise.  Yes, at 12:30 at night, because if I wait until morning, it might wait another day, But it's already been months, and this needs to come off the wall.  Sounds about as dramatic as "now or never" or "do or die," doesn't it? Lol.

Ok! Sewing a row to the first side of the sashing is as easy as measuring and marking about five different points.  Then pin the marks together with one or two pins in between and it's ready to zip through the machine. Easy peasy!

But the second side is more of a chore.  I have to mark every seam line straight across the sashing so I'll know exactly where to align the next row.  Then every mark has to be pinned exactly to a seam, that's 20 or so pins. Haha, it doesn't look like so many when I type the number but it feels like 50 pins when I'm putting them in!!
Carefully line up the seams with the marks..
Pin exactly through the seam stitches...
And because of the nature of a hera marker, I can check the back of the fabric to see if it has been lined up and pinned correctly.


In my mind this extra attention is a chore... Ahhh, but the results are so much worth the effort!!  Look how wonderfully even and orderly.  It looks smooth and sleek. Professional.
Do I dare say elegant?
So far so good! I'm sure I have the confidence now to continue. There's three more rows to attach, but I also need sleep.
Maybe, Inspiration will slip into my dreams and give me the perfect quilting design, that's the next dilemma mountain to overcome.

Wishing you Joy and Health!!
Thanks for visiting


No comments:

Post a Comment