Monday, January 25, 2016

Learning how to use permalinks

Ok, I admit that I'd prefer someone was holding my hand as I continue creating this blog. I wish I had someone that would tell me what I need to do next, or show me the steps for what I want to do. My Heartbeat is a computer engineer/programmer and really good at it. But he's never blogged and has no interest in blogging, so I'm on my own in this blogging adventure. (Which is good. I love the sense of accomplishment, and ownership, and "look at what i can do". Lol, silly to have so much pride over a blog, huh?) But I'm a little frustrated that I don't easily find what I want in a quick Google search...

I'm thinking I'd like to add tutorials to my blog. Or at least organize my posts a bit by filing them into appropriate pages. If you're looking for a pattern, you shouldn't have to scroll through who knows how many posts to find it. Just look in the Patterns page. I've kinda tested this out by creating pages/tabs. But I quickly realized something is missing. Adding new material into a page doesn't create a new post and no notice goes out to followers because it's actually not a new post but an update (kinda like an edit).
I looked at blogs that are already established. I see links in their tutorial tabs and not the actual tute. So what I want is a link to put into the tab to click on that will take you to the tutorial post!
OK! I understand it, but how do I do this???...

So, now I know what I want! It's way easier to find something when you know what you want, right?!.. I go to Google search. I type in "how to add tutorials on Blogger" and Google gives me "tutorial on how to start a blog"... Umm, not a big help because I've already started my blog! I spent a bit of time trying to word my search differently, but Google kept giving me "how to start a blog."
Really frustrating.
Then I remembered that under "post settings" there's a "permalink" option....

OK, many of you probably already know what a permalink is, but I had no idea...  dictionary.com says:



permalink


[pur-muh-lingk] 



nounDigital Technology.
1.
a permanent URL that links to a specific Web page,typically a single blog entry or news article.

... "a single blog entry"...  YES!! that's exactly what I want!! Lol, it's right there next to the compose box. Easy for anyone to use!!..... IF they know what they're looking for!! Oh gosh, I amuse myself sometimes with how difficult I can make things. Haha, I imagine you shaking your head at me or telling me "bless your heart".. That's OK, I'm giggling at myself too :).
All the same, it would be so much easier if I had someone that would point out and explain these things to me!! ;)

Now to test it out.... I'm going to publish this post then put a permalink back to here under the tutorial tab. Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment