Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Starting a Vignette page

If you have already viewed my Vignettes page, I apologize for this repeat. I am in the process of organizing topics now that I have figured out how to use permalinks in the separate pages of my blog. 


Sarah

My daughter is a natural artist. She has a wonderful eye for all things beautiful. She notices things most people (or I) overlook. She has always amazed me from the very beginning. One of her many talents and passions is writing. 
Even before she knew how to read and write, she wrote a story...
Sarah: "mom, i have a book in my head, will you write it? I will tell it. And you write it on paper." 

She already had two sheets of copy paper folded in half and nestled together like a book.

We sat down and started. she told me her story slowly as she waited for me to write her words. 
She'd give me about 3 or 4 sentences then tell me to turn the page, leaving space at the bottom of the page for her to draw a picture. At 4 or 5 old, her little story about 2 horse sisters, had a beginning, middle, and end! When we were done writing, she took her little book and added her illustrations (another of her talents, she has an incredible sense of proportion in drawing.) 
I still have that book stored away, ready toyears  give back to her sometime in the future....

I am not an avid reader. It's no big secret that I'd rather be sewing or crafting than anything else, reading takes time away from that. But once in a while, when Sarah has read a really good book she can get me to read it as well. 
Recently, her English teacher had the class read The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros. It's a compilation of vignettes based on the authors childhood. And as part of the assignment Sarah has to write 5 vignettes of her own. 
She enjoys assignments such as these. And that is how this page has come to be. Sarah has suggested/requested I write vignettes. I don't think she meant for me to do it in my blog. She just wants me to write them somewhere. (My mom also has always wished that I write more, and still tells me she enjoys how I express my thoughts in writing.) And so here it is, for Sarah and Mom. 

Sarah sees me blogging, so she knows I have it here, but I don't think she has come by to read it yet. That's ok. everything has it's own timing. With any luck, someday she will come across these pages and see what a blessing she has been in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment