Monday, January 25, 2016

Permalink tutorial

This post is for any bloggers wondering how to file their posts into the appropriate pages/tabs and your followers can click on the link and be taken to the exact post without having to scroll through all subsequent posts to find the one they are seeking. (I haven't yet figured out how to use a photo as a permalink, I hope there's a way to do that.)

yay, the permalink worked as I hoped it would.
I might as well make it my first tutorial.  Because, really, I can't be the only one who wonders how to do it, can I? 

Each new blog post gets automatically gets assigned a permalink. If I click on the permalink button to the right of the text editor (compose box), this is what I see..

the http://hitaswhimsy.blogspot.com/2016/01/permalink-tutorial.html is automatically assigned. But you can check the Custom Permalink and rename it. like this:
then click done.

This is where I highlight and copy the url.  (photo is from my mobile device. the pop up menu does not appear when using the computer.)

up until now, all the previous is how to acquire the url before you publish the post. I believe it's the only time you can custom name the permalink, yet you can still acquire the url from a published post in the same manner. It may be possible to rename it if you revert your blog post to draft, but I didn't care to test it out as i don't want a new post alert to be sent to my followers (I have at least one! :) ..)

After you've published your new blog post you can use the permalink url anywhere else you would like to share it, like posting it to your facebook. And when your friends click on the link they are taken straight to that specific blog post, no matter if it was yesterdays post or a post from two years ago. Pretty cool!!


To link it into another page/tab in your blog you have to go to edit the page. Once your page is open to edit, be sure the cursor is where you want the link to appear and click the "link" button on the tool bar above the text editor (compose box).


and a box will pop up:

fill in the "Text to display:" box and paste the url link into the "To what URL should this link go?" box, Then click OK. and like magic the link appears as the words you typed into the "Text to display" box!!
CUSTOM PERMALINK (by clicking this link you will leave my home page and be taken to the top of this specific post. It's almost impossible to tell until you scroll to the end and can't scroll to the previous blog post.)

That's it. I hope I got it all and this will help someone! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment