Saturday, January 4, 2020

To Everything there is a Season.

I work on several projects at the same time.  
I have been blaming my attention span and kind of getting down on myself for not having more finished projects. 
However, as I'm unpacking can see some sense to why I have so many projects. The song "Turn, Turn, Turn. (To Everything There is a Season)" starts playing in my head..

I like to keep my hands busy all the time. I want to be productive and have something tangible to show for my time. Since life happens outside of my sewing room, I have projects that do not require the sewing machine.
I always have a project ready to take along on road trips.  I'm not able to hand piece or quilt in the car. There's too much bumping around for me to get consistent even stitches to my satisfaction. So I switch out my tiny sewing needle for something a bit bigger.
At the moment my car project is knitting.  I blogged about this baby afghan when I started it back in July 2019 The end justifies the means...? I've only been working on it here and there, but I'm going to have to give it more attention because baby will be here in February!!

I also have a project for when we're sitting in the living room watching t.v.
I was working on a rug before the move (started in July 2018! Rag rugs... scraps... new-techniques??
Ha! started in 2018?!?  with as much t.v. we've watched I should have had at least two of these made up by now!
At the time I stopped working on this rug, I probably had a more pressing project that had a deadline. The reason I didn't go back to this project was probably more of an unconscious decision. As I unpacked this from the box I was grateful that I hadn't gone further.

See how much it's bowling?
When I was working on it I was not aware this was happening.

When forced flat there is definitely something wrong going on...
The outside rounds had a tighter tension that caused the bowling. It could have been due to life stress at the time or caused by working on the floor and holding the edge up as I worked. Whatever the reason, I knew I couldn't/wouldn't continue the progress with it so obviously wrong.
I unstitched many rounds until it was lying perfectly flat again and started restitching.


That is a lot of fabric twine to restitch.

This is the progress as of today.  There's still a bit of twine to catch up to where it was before.

But at least it's lying flat!!

I also have hand piecing projects to take to Sit and Sews. My son's Double Wedding Ring is the project I take. 

So, let's see... I guess the Bonnie Hunter 2019 mystery is my main project right now. 
The Starflower and the bonus triangle 9-patch are near at hand for "leader/ender" sewing.
Knitting for road trips.
Rug making for while watching t.v.
A hand pieced Double Wedding Ring for Sit and Sews.
There are many more projects, but presently these are the ones I'm working on most. And they are a good examples of why the song comes to mind...

"To Everything (turn, turn, turn)
There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
And a time to every purpose, under Heaven."


No comments:

Post a Comment