Sunday, May 16, 2021

Bullseye Workshop and the mystery continues


Today I joined some of Denton Quilt Guild members and took a Bullseye Quilt Workshop by Becky Goldsmith from Piece O' Cake Designs. Becky Goldsmith offers her classes at Creative Spark Online Learning. Here's the link for Bullseye, if you are interested.

Wow! I really enjoyed doing this. Taking a class while in my own sewing room was fantastic! I admit, I wasn't super prepared. I actually picked fabrics out for the center circle about 30 minutes before the Zoom meeting started. And the fabrics for the first ring weren't picked until I was ready to start that section! And about half way through class, I had technical trouble when my laptop ran out of battery. I had to run for an extension cord, but was back in class in just minutes.

I did miss some of the things that happen in an in-person classroom. I missed getting to know a fellow classmate that may have sat across from me. I missed the laughter and teasing and encouraging and ..... snacks 😋. And my favorite thing in a room full of quilters is the singing of sewing machines as everyone is trying to keep up with the instructor.

In the classroom, I do tend to be a bit behind schedule. I like to walk around the room and see my fellow classmate's choice of colors.  Because I was at home today, I stayed on task quite well 😄. All I had was me, my rotary cutter, my sewing machine... and no distractions! My Heartbeat even brought me lunch. He's so good to me!


  Looking at the quilt, it's intimidating to think about attempting something so complicated with a million pieces. 

Bullseye is a foundation paper pieced pattern. Becky Goldsmith walks you through everything, from thread choices to color selections to piecing. Today, I took one step at a time and was surprised at how easily and quickly it sewed together! And at one little pivot point, I am certain Becky taught me how to do magic!

I was already starting the first ring when I thought to get pics to show you. 

I truly believe making these units can get addicting.
The magic pivot was in putting these units together.

Soon I had the whole ring done!



The backside looked pretty cool.


Well, I need more practice putting the center circle in...
after 5 hours of sewing, I just wanted to get it done. I may have been a bit hasty here.

But it's not terrible. I don't have an urge to unstitch and do it over.... (k, not a really big urge 😋)
Thanks for the great workshop to Becky Goldsmith. I definitely recommend it!!

After a break for dinner, I was back in my sewing room.
Today is day 6 in Laundry Basket Quilts Mystery 2021. I had to catch up with day 5 and day 6. I don't have progress pics of day 5, but the blocks are in the end of day photo at the end of this update.

I do have to tell you about the day 6 blocks...
I chose this bright green with hearts. It's definitely a directional print.

However, I like the way it looks when the hearts are placed up and down. I decided to sew it like this...

But What??
good grief, I sewed it into a pinwheel 😏
I was so taken with how well the points turned out I didn't even notice my mistake until after I pressed the seam flat. It is a pretty pinwheel, isn't it? 😂
I corrected the block and placed it on the design board.
I may have made another mistake.  The green looks too bright to me.
The day has been long. It's been a great sewing day, very productive...

... and I'm ready to stop for now.

I'll have another look tomorrow, in the daylight, and make the necessary decisions then.

Good night! Sweet dreams.



No comments:

Post a Comment