Monday, September 2, 2019

Back in my Whimsy Groove

Yes! 
I want to thank you, my readers. Thank you for being there. You may be silent, and that's ok.  I know you're there 😘.
My last blog update was therapeutic for me and I guess very inspiring as well.  I was able to clear my head and refocus. I see an opportunity ahead, but first I need to get a few of these recent projects moving along. Hopefully, the next couple weeks will be full of stitching frenzy!

I decided on a pattern for the replacement of Baby Girl quilt for my Heart's co-worker.  It's called "Going Dutch" by Amanda Wilbert of Pieced Just Sew. It's offered as a free pattern on the Moda Bakeshop site - Going Dutch by Amanda Wilbert.  The pattern is written for a larger size and requires 4 charm packs. I am going to use the Tula Pink charm pack I just picked up during my recent trip.  Combining it with a solid should make it enough for a baby quilt.

Here's my start on Half Square Triangles.

I really love those happy colors of the Tula Pink collection.  Here's all the squares pressed and ready for trimming.

I pulled this ruler out of the package because the size was just about right.  I had purchased it as part of a template kit to make a wedge pattern. (I hope to get around to making one some day.)
I was surprised by the glow in the dark markings that were showing up in the shadows. It was quite helpful and I wish all my rulers had this feature!
Templates are from a small company based in Huntsville, AL. I don't think they have a brick and mortar store at the moment. They do have an online store, https://www.stashtools.com/


While insomnia struck, I put the time to use by sewing the corners with sew and flip technique as per the instructions.

By time I was ready to sleep, I had a few blocks made up.

But I am especially pleased with my bonus blocks (not part of the instructions.)

Those little 2" pin wheels are made from the corner that's trimmed off.  But the trick is to sew that seam before trimming.

I don't know what I'm going to do with those tiny bonus pinwheel blocks, but don't you think they are super Whimsy groovy?!!

And to add to all that stitching, I have also drafted the next border for the Possum Town Quilt Guild Medallion quilt challenge!! The requirement for this last border is that it must contain rectangles.  The assembly will be tricky, but I think partial seams should take care of that.

Honestly, tons of ideas have been racing through my head since the last blog update.  However, I realize now is a very good time to stay focused and stick with the plan. But how fantastic is it to have my Whimsy Hita groove back!!

No comments:

Post a Comment