Wednesday, September 11, 2019

This Quilter's process

The final border on the PTQ Medallion challenge is rectangles.
After sketching a few ideas and thinking what colors to use, I finally came up with the design.
I decided the rectangles should be 1.5"X 4" finished.  Yes, I decided that measurement first then figured the triangles. (Triangles were 7" squares cut twice on the diagonal for 4 quarter triangles. This kept the long edge on the straight of grain instead of a stretch bias.)


I was so thrilled about this border that I didn't take pics of piecing.  If anyone expresses interest in how it was done, I'll recreate the process in pics for another blog update.


I hadn't decided how I was going to do the corners yet.   First was the task of calculating the sashing between the previous border and this one. It was a bit daunting because the corner ends with a triangle.


It became apparent that a little extra would be needed in the purple zigzag.  So, out came the seam ripper.  


Once the parts were removed, I trimmed the corner so the zag would perfectly line up on the intersection.


Next calculation is the corner. It will be a large triangle in the love bird fabric.  According to this next pic, it's slightly off from being perfectly square, but it will be an easy fix with an over sized triangle that gets squares up after it's attached.

The next border is my choice, if I want to make this quilt larger (and I do.)
I'll finish the corners tomorrow and think about the next border design. 
I have no idea what I'll think up next, but it's all in this quilter's process! We'll have to wait and see 😝.

2 comments: