Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Listen to the voices...

The center of Baby Girl Replacement is all stitched together!
It's 33" wide as it is.  I like baby quilts to be at least 36"x45".   I'm going to add a 1/2" solid teal stopping border, then one of the prints for a 3" outside border.  With luck, I'll be ready to sit at the "George" for quilting tomorrow!

So, while piecing these blocks, I was getting quite pleased with myself because I wasn't using pins to line up the Pin Wheel intersections. And they were coming out pretty well.  I took a count of how many I had done. There were Fourteen! 
Fourteen blocks that came together on the first try. I was almost literally patting myself on the back. Only 6 more blocks to make (oh, and the tiny Pin Wheel bonus blocks.)
And then the 15th block happened...
It's a little skewed. 
Truth is it's not horrible.
But I know it's there and I can't leave it like that.
As I was unstitching the seam my mom's comment from a recent conversation echoed in my head. 
"You're a perfectionist!" 
We were talking on the phone, but I could hear the pride. From the sound of her voice I could see her expression, 
eyes shining with admiration, 
A smile that reflects her compliment,
Also her wonder that I take extra care at certain points in my process.

I love that she thinks so about my work,
But I can only partially accept the compliment.
I deny being a perfectionist. I could point out a number of imperfections in any one of my pieces.  .. Then I think, "maybe that's what a perfectionist does. Always see the imperfections." Lol, then maybe I am a perfectionist. Ugh, my head goes in circles.

I rather think I am PARTICULAR about certain things, like burying the threads in Sweet's quilt.  I'm afraid I gave the impression that i bury threads like that in every quilt.  I don't! It was just my process on THAT quilt.  My process of working through my youngest leaving home. Every quilt is different.
So far, on Baby Girl Replacement, my "particular" thing was those bonus blocks.  I paid for 5" squares of fabric. I just can't discard those bits of fabric! Not if something can be made with them!!

I sewed the pieces I had just unstitched back together.  Looked at the seam intercession. And it was still off.  I had to do it over again.
Another voice echoed into my thoughts. It was from many years ago, a quilting friend. She said, "I'll restitch 3 times. If I can't correct it by that third time, it's just going to have to live that way and I'll move on." That was really good advice.
Thankfully, my pieces stitched up pretty well this time.

I think "hearing voices" isn't a bad thing, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment