Saturday, July 27, 2019

Never far from a needle and thread.

Someone once asked me how much time do I sew per day.  It was almost like I couldn't understand the question.  I wanted to answer, "how much time do you breath per day." But I suppose that answer would've been taken as rudeness.  The truth is, if I have a moment free, I have a needle in my hand or some sort of crafting going on!!  It's as necessary for me as breathing!!

~~~
Last night I finally sat down at "George" with a full sized quilt.  I am confident enough to start quilting on Sweetling's college quilt.


Stitching the traditional 1/4th inch from the seam is MUCH easier than "stitching in the ditch!"
However, keeping the lines straight is much harder. Do you see that little "jog" in the stitching behind the needle?   I apologized out loud to Sweets (even though I was the only one in the room), "I'm sorry Inigo, I didn't mean to jog him so hard."  It's one of my favorite quotes from one of our favorite movies, the Princess Bride. 😉 Maybe someday Sweets will come to read my blog post. And maybe she'll look for that jog in her quilt, because it's a memory I stitched in.  And maybe she'll wonder what other memories are stitched in.  One thing she can be sure of though, is that her quilt is packed full of love and a lifetime of memories!!

~~~
I run the Sit and Sew on the 4th Saturday of the month for the Possum Town Quilters guild in Columbus, MS.
This month I offered to focus on the Log Cabin pattern.  Two of the PTQ members took me up on my offer. I hope they don't mind me sharing their photos.

DeWhyte is a hand piecer.  We went over a lot of the basics of measuring and cutting with a rotary cutter.  We went over the basics of Log Cabin block construction.  And DeWhyte is well on her way to building a masterpiece!

 Ina was on a mission to complete a log cabin block for the Mississippi Quilter's Association 2019 Scavenger hunt.  They gave out pattern directions for a paper pieced Log Cabin block.
I've been promising to teach Ina how to paper piece.  We took this as an opportunity to finally get that done.  And look know well she did!!  That's makes two items she can check off her scavenger hunt list!!  1. Tried a new technique. 2. Made an MQA log cabin block.
aren't those bumblebees sweet! 🥰
 And here I am.  Since it's easiest to teach with a sample, I have my MQA paper pieced Log Cabin block in the making too.

 Aww, but it looks like I'm going to have to switch gears over the next 10 days or so.  Sweets and I are traveling to visit family in TX and CO.  I can't take the "George" with me 💔.  So I will pack up the Elongated Hexigon top that I've been hand piecing. And I'll also take the baby afghan I'm knitting.  I'm not sure how much I'll have to blog about since I've already told the stories about these two.  But you can be sure, I will have a needle in my hands and thinking up ideas for future blog updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment