Friday, July 5, 2019

One thing leads to another...

I am so far behind on my blog and I am swimming in quilt projects!! It's crazy how quickly I can get myself neck deep in projects when I am trying so hard not to!  This time I can almost pinpoint where this round of craziness started.

My youngest, my Sweetling, had her high school graduation at the end of May.  She's been in a residential school for the last two years and I thought that had me prepared for what's next - her moving off to college.  But apparently, nothing can 100% prepare a mama to let go.
So instead of facing the inevitable, I buried myself in quilting with the Three projects.  I had things under control. I had focus. And I had momentum! I was making good progress!

Then Sweetling requested a special quilt to take with her in August.  Oh, of course, I am NOT going to refuse this request.  She showed me the pattern she wanted that she saw in a Google search for quilts.  It's actually an AccuQuilt  crazy quilt pattern for the Go! Big.  I don't own any AccuQuilt products.  So, I had to just use the picture for inspiration and do my best to reproduce it.
Sweets was pleased with the resulting top.
I was pleased with the my efforts.
My quilting friends expressed interest in this stack-and-whack-and-shuffle-the-deck piecing technique.  (I'll come back to this.)

~~~~ In the meantime, I participated in the Wanna Bee June class.  It was a mystery quilt where we brought 90 prepared fabric pieces to class and we were instructed to throw all those pieces into a bag. Then we were to pick one piece out at a time and sew.  This next pic shows what should have been the result of that...
... However, I used just about any and every piece of scrap fabric in my stash. The pieces were too chunky to be able to blend.  It was apparent they needed to be cut into smaller pieces and spread out more. (Mind you, my fellow class mates used controlled pallets and their tops with this setting are fantastic!)
.
I auditioned an alternate setting... I turned the blocks this way and that. I tried several complimentary colors for the half square triangles...

... But  none sparked "whimsy"
... but I felt potential.
I made a brave move and split half of the blocks diagonally and tried more settings...
setting #1

setting #2
and I auditioned with blocks split diagonally in the other direction to get this secondary square forming from the corners placed together.
setting #3

Now! I'm feeling some whimsy! I LOVE the scrappiness!! And by this time I was very invested in this project.
Though, I couldn't decide which setting to go with.  I took it to Facebook to ask my friends which setting.  The votes leaned toward the cleaner setting #1, but not enough to convince me.

After two nights of staring at the design board and pics on my phone, the thought popped into my head - "let the recipient choose the setting."
So starts the conversation with myself...
"Oooh, good idea!"
"K, who is the recipient?"
"Ya, who do I know that would love a Scrappy  with a capital "S" quilt like this?!?"
I'm afraid it might be a quilt only a quilt mama could love!
"💡 I know!! My son's girlfriend!! She's hinted, She's practically begged for a quilt.  And my son has almost demanded, not quite but almost 😝 "
"Ok. I'll send her a picture and ask her what she thinks. It's probably not quite what she had in mind."
😈 I couldn't help but giggle. 🤫 it's really a test!  😇 Let's see how much she really wants a quilt...

(BTW, I'm head-over-heals about this girl. I've never seen my son as happy as he is now.  To see him comfortable with himself is enough for me! The thing is they live 2 states away.  They've come for just 2 short visits. I'm still getting to know her.)

🤗 Without a moment's hesitation she accepted the offer.  She even chose setting #3, which I preferred most!  Omgosh! Is this girl perfect or what!?!!

Haha, but that's not the end of the story.
Now! this quilt has a purpose and sparks "Whimsy!"
It practically twinkles with whimsy as I put the blocks together.


and look at those nearly perfect 8 point centers!!

I had to make a few more units to complete the squares in the new setting. I texted the new calculations to son's gf.  It's was going to be 62" square, that's a good couch sized quilt.
Next thing I know my son texts me.  His gf doens't want to tell me but they think it's too small.  Ok, no problem. What size do you want it?
.... sized for a California King!??!?
My first reaction - "No way!"
But I love her. And I love him. And I love them together.  I know she has seen a pic of that mess of fabrics on my design wall. And I can practically hear how she is visualizing that beautiful crazy mess spread out on her bed. And my "No!" quickly melts into "yes, I can do that for you!"
Another layer will be added to each block.  It's easy enough, just time consuming.
she loves foxes. So I found some fox prints to add into that extra layer.
-- that's how a one day class project turns into a CAKing project

~~ IN THE MEANTIME... back to my quilting friends interest in the top made for Sweets...

Their interest prompted me to offer to teach a simplified version of the piecing method at the Wanna Bees quilt group in Vernon, AL.   I whipped up a sample. The class is set for the July meeting.


At the same time all the above is going on, I helped Julia Graber set up a day trip to a quilt exhibition at The MAX in Meridian, MS for the ladies of Possum Town Quilt Guild.  Julia has two quilts in the exhibit which will be on display until mid'August.
 Just 4 of us went.  We had a fantastic Tuesday!







 After browsing the quilt exhibit we toured the rest of the museum which is all about Mississippi history.  It's really set up nicely and very interesting.  I think it needs to go on my "things to do" list for out of town visitors.




It's a 90 minute drive.  with one quilt shop between here and there. That gives lots of time for visiting in the car... On the way home, Julia Graber suprised me when she burst out with an idea that I should take her sit down long arm "George" to my home to try out for a year!
It was quite spontaneous.  I gave her a night to be able to retract the offer

Julia and I also go to Maple Street Charity quilting every Wednesday.
This is the top I am piecing there at the moment.
I asked Julia how serious she was about her offer.  She was so convinced of the idea that I felt she would have dragged me to her house to pick up the machine.  Of course, she didn't have to drag me because I was practically tripping over myself to get there!!



And now "George" temporarily lives with me.


And I think we're getting along quite well!


I have a few things to learn.

Here's the second practice small quilt - what a rush! I feel like I've been given wings!
My Heartbeat saw this second quilt and asked me if I might have a "practice" quilt for a co-worker and wife that are expecting a baby girl in August!
While I am please with this little scrappy log-cabin quilt. And in my opinion it is baby worthy.  It's also my opinion that it is not husband's-co-worker-baby-girl baby worthy.  So!! I have started yet another quilt top!

now, as if that's not enough... I've recently received news that inspired me to load a blankie onto the knitting needles!

 Let me count - 
1.  the medallion quilt challenge
2.  The ugly fabric challenge quilt
3.  the Green Chili Salsa quilt on the hand quilting frame
Then started:
4.  Sweetling's college quilt
5.  Wanna Bee mystery quilt - turned into quilt for son's gf
6.  Simplified Sweetling quilt for Wanna Bee class
7.  Small wall hanging practice "George" quilt
8.  Second practice small premie sized "George" quilt.
9.   Baby girl quilt for my Heart's co- worker
10.  Knitting baby blankie

Phewww!! Do you see why there hasn't been a blog update recently?   😜

1 comment:

  1. It's always good to see others that can't quit thinking.....
    I am really jealous that you have George....your work is looking great.

    ReplyDelete