Thursday, July 18, 2019

Influenced beyond quilting

Ms. Bonnie Hunter.... Quiltmaker and author of Quiltville's Quips and Snips!

... is very well known in the quilting community.  She's probably very well known world wide in the quilting community!

My quilting friend Judy Stokes must be her biggest fan.   This had been so recognized that Judy was asked to be the feature artist and exhibit her many Bonnie Hunter quilts that she has made over the years.  You can read more about it in my Mountain Quiltfest 2019 blog post.

Judy has been a great influence on my quilting journey since I moved to Mississippi. 
It was because Judy had such enthusiasm for the Bonnie Hunter mystery quilts that I had to try it out in 2015  (refresh your memory at my blog post A slight detour...) Unfortunately, my Allietare quilt top is not much further along than what's shown in that blog post ๐Ÿ˜, but I will get back to it!

Then, of course, when I heard that Bonnie Hunter was going to be teaching at Mountain Quiltfest 2019, I had to take a class and meet her.  But, once again, my quilt top isn't any further than what's shown in my Mountain Quiltfest 2019 blog post.   And again, I really want to get back to piecing this top together too!

Alright. I'm not having great success with Bonnie Hunter quilts.  But that's not the point of this blog update.  Judy's influence and Bonnie's influence goes far beyond quilt tops and quilting techniques.  It's their drive to reach their goals that has me in awe!

(K. Let's get this straight. You know and I know there are tons of people that have this drive.  Just in my small circle, I am surrounded by amazing quilters. And they've ALL influenced my quilting over the past 5 years. And my friends in WA are quite amazing as well.  I wish I could tell the story about each and every one of you!!  I could fill a book!)

K. Let me finally get to the point of THIS blog update.  I have been subscribed to Bonnie Hunters blog since joining the Allietari mystery in 01/16.  Which means I receive an email when she publishes a new blog post....

I. Receive. An. Email. EVERY-DAY!! (I want to type it out "E V E R Y D A Y!" to make even more emphasis on it!)

I have to be honest that I don't read the updates everyday.  But the thing is, I know Bonnie Hunter is a busy busy woman! Teaching. Travel. Writing books. Opening her own retreat. AND MAKING QUILTS!! The list goes on, I'm sure.  She probably gardens and cooks too.  I can't fathom it all...
She is truly amazing with incredible unending energy and always ends her day with a blog update!!

Then I think -- with everything she does, if Bonnie can blog every day, so can I!  ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚. Realistically, I know I won't blog EVERYday, but I do want to update more often.

So, it's THAT.  Seeing those email blog notifications is what has me blogging today. And hopefully more often.

And so, onto what I did today...
My Wednesday mornings are dedicated to charity quilting with the Maple Street Quilters. The hand quilters finished quilting the wonky block Fractured quilt top I pieced together.  Fractured is a pattern by Kathy Doughty of Material Obsession.
 And they set up the 16-patch quilt top pieced by Judy.  (I'll have to find out where she got the pattern idea.)
And I continued working on yet another wonky block quilt top.  It's also a pattern by Kathy Doughty of Material Obsession.  This is just a quick layout with only half the blocks to see if all the prints are playing well together.

And here's what I worked on when I came home.
 My friend Ina appliqued this sweet happy sun for a special soon arriving Little One's room. And asked if I would quilt it up on the "George."

I'll continue working on it tomorrow with binding and a sleeve. And I appreciate the opportunity to "practice" and play with George!!

I send a special "Thank you" to Judy and Bonnie for influencing far beyond quilting or what can be written in a few sentences here.

And I thank you, the reader, for coming by to see what I'm up to!  Please come visit again. Your visits and comments encourage me to keep writing!!  Maybe I'll see you tomorrow ๐Ÿ˜‰.

2 comments:

  1. You are so artistic, I am sure that following someone else's plan is hard for you.....thus the Bonnie quilts sitting on the back burner. But, will be glad to see you follow her lead on more updates to share your art with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I easily get distracted from long term projects ๐Ÿ™ƒ. However, I do really well with deadlines ๐Ÿ˜†.
      Thank you for the encouragement!!

      Delete