Tuesday, July 9, 2019

The end justifies the means..?

I love when things seem magically to fall into place.  More like, when I get an urge to start a project but I manage to stay focused on current stitching.  And then an opportunity presents itself.
This time I wanted something new to knit (something other than the ZickZack scarf. I've just finished the 3rd one and I do have yarn for the 4th. but...) My heart was begging for something sweet to knit... Something soft... Something cuddly... Possibly something pink, as in baby girl pink 😉.

I walked through the yarn isles in Hobby Lobby.  I probably longingly let my fingers glide over the softer yarns, imagining all sort of potential projects.  At the same time, reminding myself, "not right now."

 I noticed the huge clearance sale they were having in the yarn department.
So many different yarns, all weights, many fiber varieties, priced right and so tempting! 
Still, I resisted taking yarn home.  Instead I texted a quilting friend that knits baby caps for the newborn ward at our local hospital. Once I gave her all the info I left the store empty-handed!  I felt good that maybe that's why I was compelled to stroll through the yarn isles that day...
 

The next day, my mom called me with news that I am going to be a great-aunt again!  Oh what fantastic news!  Especially because NOW I have a reason to load soft silky stitches onto my needles!!  Baby afghan here I come!!

I really wanted to get pink or lavender but since it's still early I decided to go with a gender neutral mint green (it's my favorite color anyway 😆.)
(Disclaimer: I know, I know. These days they say there's no "gender specified colors." ....but there is.  At least I feel there is. And green is neutral. *Shrug*. It is what it is.)
I had the yarn picked out before the pattern. I briefly considered taking time to browse Ravelry.com before purchasing the yarn. That option was too time consuming and I just couldn't wait!  I scooped up all the mint green skeins (10) that were on the shelf and moved over to the knitting/crotchet books.  I needed a pattern that required #3 sport weight yarn and something without big lacy holes.

I fell in love with the Pleated Herringbone Afghan designed by Judy S. Lamb in the "Our Best Knit Baby Afghans book 2" by Leisure Arts.  (Actually, there are several Afghans I'd like to knit up from that book!)

I was so impatient to start that I also purchased the suggested sized knitting needles.  I am pretty sure I have at least one set in that size already but it would require digging for them in my sewing room and that could take days 🙄. Besides, I had a 40% coupon.  Very justifiable!!

But look!
I love those eyelets on the edges.  It's a sweet touch of lace without being too worrisome that little baby fingers will get tangled up in them.

I love the subtle texture of the pleated herringbone design.  With this yarn the pattern doesn't jump out at you until the light hits it just right.

"IT'S SO FLUFFY!" (One of my favorite quotes from the movie Despicable Me.)
Ohh, all that fuzziness!! I'm tempted to make myself a blankie 😝.
I hope the new mama and daddy like it.
And Little One, every stitch is made with love just for you because great-Auntie loves you incredibly much already!!
(BTW, the afghan only requires 4 skeins.  I'll have several left over.  If there's time, I may make up a whole layette!! 🥰)

1 comment:

  1. Love the color and the pattern is beautiful. Wish knitting was a talent of mine.....would probably give up quilting.

    ReplyDelete