Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Practice and more practice...


Practice.
My Sweetling wants circles quilted on her college quilt. (The beginning of this story starts in this blog update here: One thing leads to another.)
I'm not confident enough to start quilting it yet though.  I want it to be perfect for her.
Since the blue quilt is a miniturized version of hers, it's perfect for practice.

I thought I'd try a meandering loop design.

Quilting with Glide variegated quilting thread and 80/20 cotton/poly batting.


The quilt is approximately 36" x 45".
The George is fantastic!  With the loose meandering the quilting was done in just about 3 hours!
That's amazing.  It's going to take longer to attach and turn the binding than it was to quilt it!

The backing fabric is busier than I thought it would be.  You can't see the quilting very well.
I am pleased that there aren't any puckers.  It proves that careful basting pays off.

But Sweets wants her quilt to feel fluffier.  I think she'd like it more like a comforter.
So we went to Hobby Lobby and got a 100% poly high-loft batting.  And I spent about an hour this evening basting the baby girl quilt.
The quilting won't be the meandering loop design. But I will be able to practice with the same thread and batting I'll use for Sweet's quilt.
Hopefully, after quilting this one more "practice"  piece, I'll be ready to tackle the real one 😉.

No comments:

Post a Comment