Friday, November 8, 2019

An evening with the Quilt Guild of Dallas

Just a quick FYI before I tell you about my day...
It. Rains. In. Texas!!
The saying is that "everything is bigger in Texas" seems to hold true. Even the raindrops feel bigger here!
Ok, onto my day....

I am often amazed how easy it is to get information these days.  Social media is a fantastic resource!
I am a Facebook fan. You can find a group for just about anything! (At least I assume so. I have only looked for quilters or needle crafters myself.)
When I moved to Texas, I did a quick search for quilting groups and found the Texas Quilter's Group (tm). It's a closed group, I did have to "apply to be a member" by answering  three questions before I was accepted.
I made a post to introduce myself and to ask for guilds close to where I would be living. I can tell you, I was thrilled to get responses!
I was invited to six guilds, a quilting bee, and a Quilts of Valor group! There were also mention of several quilt shops in my area. It's going to take me a while to visit each one!!


I was told that the Quilter's Guild of Dallas meets on the 2nd Thursday of the month.
Guess what yesterday was?! Yep, it was the second Thursday! And even though my GPS showed that it is a 40 minutes drive (into Dallas), I was determined to go because Linda took the time to comment on my FB post and invite me. Thanks, Linda!!

The November meeting happens to be the guild's charity sewing event. Which takes place at the Best Little Retreat Center in Texas.
I walked into a room that was buzzing with activity and sewing machines running.

Tables were littered with color coordinated scraps.

Looks like some were also theme coordinated too.

Many design walls were in use.

I noticed that the walls were custom made design walls! I mean, the whole wall! Corner to corner and as high as anyone could reach!
In the first room, ALL the wall space was covered like this!

Quilt tops were not limited to string piecing.

One quilter was attaching bindings.

She had a pile of quilts that needed to have the binding turned and stitched down.

This is Bonnie who invited me to turn bindings with her when I pretty much walked in off the street and asked for a job 😆.

And so I spent the next two hours or so chatting with Bonnie and stitching this binding.

And though I haven't made the commitment to become a member yet, I was given a welcome packet.

And I won a door prize!

I'll have to return when there's a regular meeting. I walked into the frenzied end of day rush to get a much done as possible. Only a handful of ladies introduced themselves to me. But I felt very welcomed. Almost like a raindrop falling into a puddle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment