Friday, November 22, 2019

The Denton Quilt Guild November meeting.

I'm continuing to "try on" quilt guilds and groups.  It's been a fun experience. There's so much quilting going on around me it's making my head spin.

The Denton Quilt Guild meets every 3rd Tuesday of the month.
Oh gosh. Where do I start?!
My overall impression of this guild is that it offers many many opportunities. A quilter just has to decide to grab up those opportunities!!


The above photo is a panoramic view of what I walked into this past Tuesday evening. The sign-in table is on the right and the snack table is on the left.

The website states that the guild has more than 200 members. I'm sure by time the meeting started there were pretty close to 100 in attendence!
With that many, I was just another body in a group of quilters.  Luckily, I had met Jo-Rhonda the day before at the Graceful Quilters Bee. She was ready to be a friendly familiar face.  Without her I would've been completely lost.
Thank you, Jo-Rhonda for being my tour guide!


This meeting was dedicated to feature the many quilting bees available to DQG members.  "Bees" are small groups that have formed and meet outside of the guild meeting. Some are technique based. One focuses on wool applique and crazy quilting. 

Another is the Arts Quilting Bee, that promoted so many different techniques I couldn't begin to list.
There is a Book/Blocks of the Month Quilting Bee. A theme is named for the year, like "great women in espionage," then blocks are made in relation to the theme.
An Embroidery Bee is all about machine embroidery.

There are a few are simply Sit and Sew Bees, bring your own project and come for the company.

Some of the Bees meet at a member's house, some meet at bigger venues like church halls.
Some are daytime, some are in the evening.
There are so many options once your a member of the Denton Quilt Guild!!


The guild is a non profit organization. As such, it has a major focus on community outreach. Kids Kuilts, Quilts of Valor, and Habitat for Humanity quilts were talked about during this meeting.

As well as a Stocking drive (not really what it was called but I can't remember) where the guild made over 1200 Christmas stockings this year! I can only list a few of the programs. DQG community outreach is pretty impressive!

It was a lot of information for me to absorb in just a couple of hours. I'm sure I have missed a few things. The meeting was Tuesday evening and it is now Friday morning. That's how long it's taken me to compose this update because I'm still processing!!
😁 I'm pretty sold on this quilt guild. Membership is $35/year. That's a fantastic deal for everything that comes with it! I haven't even mentioned the monthly presentations!!  You can find that info on their webpage Denton Quilt Guild.

Oh yes! Last but not least.
Show and Tell!! (But I only got a couple pictures.)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment