Saturday, August 3, 2019

Family time

I giggle at myself. It's like a "having eyes bigger than my stomach" moment.  I am traveling to visit family. I brought two hand piecing projects, my son's double wedding ring and the Elongated hexagons, and a knitting project with me.  Plenty of stitching to keep me busy...

We left home six days ago. So far, we've spent at least 29 hours on the road.  My Sweetling thought of getting a book on tape, but she couldn't get the audio app to work.  Instead she brought along  "The Great Gatsby" book and read out loud to me while I was driving!  And when we switched off, I read out load as well! (It's been years since I've read out loud to her!! I was a bit rusty at first.)
While we managed to read a whole book on our drive here, I only managed to knit a mere 6 rows during passenger time and none at all off the road!!  (I did like the way the rays from the setting sun filtered through the stitching pattern.)
q

I brought along all this handstitching and  I just haven't had time to bring out my projects! Visiting has occupied nearly every minute (as it should be.)
Tonight is the first night I get a minute and I am determined to use it to write a blog update ☺️.
On the crafting side, I got some pictures of my brother's pottery and added them to Thankfully not a lump of clay.

During the drive, I thought of a tip to share with you on how to keep track of what row you're working...
... by using a sticky note!
It's so easy! There's no marking your book up with tick marks, no toting along a loose paper and pen to make tick marks! No stitch/row counter to remember to click at the end of a row.
It's as easy as moving the sticky note with every completed row.  It's important to say that I don't move it to the next row until I'm ready to take that first stitch.  If I complete a row but am ready to put the knitting down, I leave the sticky note marking the last row completed. Then when I pick it up again and ready for the first stitch of the next row, that's when I move the sticky note marker.
Another benefit of the sticky note is if I have to keep track of how many repeats of rows, I could write tick marks on it to keep count. (Ok, I'd have to tote around a pen for this. But marking the sticky note rather than the book or loose paper is fantastic.)
Haha, you've probably been using this method for years. If you haven't, it'll be an "ah-ha" moment and you'll wonder why you've never thought of it before!

While visiting my family, we had a little impromptu rock painting session.  Everyone that was there sat down to paint!  It couldn't have been planned better.
Several years ago my dad was diagnosed with dementia.  Coloring or painting is a good activity for him and very much encouraged. Exercise is also encouraged, and a nurse is sent to make sure he gets out to walk and helps him through a specialized exercise routine several times a week. When he goes for walks he often picks up rocks. He was happy to share his collection with us.

There were even moments of silence as we all concentrated on our pieces.  So determined to make perfect strokes with our brushes.
We simply enjoyed our time together.
(Photo courtesy of Nathaniel Hernandez.
Dad's truck is in the far left, looking like a exotic red Lily.
Nathaniel and Ray painted lady bugs.
Sarah painted mountains.
I tried my hand with bright bold colors and black outlines.)
My sister Charmaine painted one with a Bohemian feel. I wish I would've thought of that! I'll try to get a better picture here.)

I believe I let my Whimsy side show through.
(Photo courtesy of Nathaniel Hernandez)
I also think I need more practice at this sort of creativity!!

No comments:

Post a Comment